Monday, October 3, 2011

Marathon Festival of Winning

I know a guy doing his first marathon on Sunday. He just wants to finish

I know a girl doing her first marathon on Sunday. She just wants to finish.
I know a guy who will do the marathon slower than 4 hours so that he doesn’t pull up sore for his 100km ultra six days later.
I know a guy who will be around the 2h50m mark, probably, maybe.

I know a bloke who was going to be there until injury delayed his marathon glow.
I know a bloke who was destined to smash his PB but right now is busy in a routine of ice, stretch, compression, ice, stretch, compression etc.
As for me, I plan to turn up and run slow and enjoy the experience. Injury has delayed my assault on any PB chance this year.
I know on the day we will all do our best.

I know we will all want to be on the start line again to see if we can do better.
That’s the beauty of running, there is no opposition apart from ourselves. We get to play in the grand final every year as long as we turn up. As long as we keep turning up, we win.

Good luck to everyone who has trained to turn up. Whether or not you achieve your goal this time, everyone of you has done amazing stuff for yourself and your families.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave, Enjoy your run. Been watching this You Tube clip and putting into context of our "battle" this week. Each runner will have their own story to tell and "WE few, we happy few, we band of brothers" will leave a legacy of hope and inspiration for those who share our journey.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcrdI-XPdU
    Cheers, Michael Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael, love it. The legacy of hope and inspiration is a better option than the one that was sitting here on the couch a few short years ago.
    Have a great day Sunday, enjoy being part of the happy few...thousand.
    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete