Thursday, December 16, 2010

The story so far......

My running story started over 30 years ago but only really kicked into gear in in August 2008. In 1979 my Dad ran in the 'Big M - Melbourne Marathon'. As an 8 year old my enduring memory of the event was when back at our house after the event he took off his shoe to reveal a foot that was one giant blister. It was horrific and yet I think at that point in some way I decided that one day I too would run a marathon That day came in October, 2009.

My passion had been football. I started playing when I was 7 and continued until I was 35. In all that time there was one premiership in 1991. I consider myself  very lucky to have been involved in that experience. It's the dream and goal of every footballer to play in a flag. The celebrations were huge and the feeling unsurpassed. I never hit another sporting high so great until October, 2009.

After finishing my playing career I did nothing for nearly 3 years. Well 'nothing' isn't quite right. I did sit on the couch alot, I did drink beer alot and I did watch sport alot. However I still thought I was in shape so to speak. Still thought I was pretty fit and healthy. It took me a long time to fully understand how wrong I was.

The turning point in my life was when I challenged a kid in my class to a race at Aths training. I thought for sure I would comfortably beat this 12 year old girl, Ashley. She said ok let's go, 800m. I let her lead out and sat just off her shoulder ready to kick clear at any stage. With 300m left to go I pulled out into the second lane and went to make my move but there was nothing at all left in the tank. Ashley was the one who moved away and won comfortably by about 30-40m. It wasn't just the beating I took that changed my life. It was also the fact that at the end of 800m I was completely exhausted. I was shaking uncontrollably and it took the best part of an hour for me to feel anywhere near normal again.

On that day I decided a change had to be made.

5 comments:

  1. Respond we must to the instructive moments. Well responded brother!

    And welcome to blog universe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Billy Boy, good to be in the universe

    ReplyDelete
  3. when is the next edition? good reading so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're enjoying the read Pigman.
    Editions will be coming pretty regularly but right now gotta go for a run. More soon

    ReplyDelete