Friday, December 17, 2010

The Turning Point

So the embarrassment of being beaten was big but the realisation of how unhealthy and out of shape I was hit me hardest. I'd never been this unfit in my life and here I was faced with a decision to make. One choice was to continue on as normal and just kind of hope I would be ok. The second choice was to do something proactive and get fit. Also on the horizon was my 40th birthday. I didn't want to be a fat forty year old.

So I had reached the turning point and made the right choice. I started going for a few runs and for a couple of months everything was looking good. I was feeliing a bit better and thought I was right back on track. Then a big hurdle arose. It was called Summer holidays. Typically festive cheer was something I embraced with a passion. Hot weather, a pool in the backyard, a fridge full of beer and good tunes filling the air. It was a beautiful scenario and one that took over my good intentions. Running took a back seat and before long I was back to making excuses. My new life had been postponed but thankfully not cancelled.

It was to be quite a few months until it all started for me again. In August 2008 I started running three times a week. In September my daughter, Tierney, was born to join her brother Raferty in our house. So for three weeks after the birth I again postponed my new life. This time though I got back to it quickly. The realisation now was that it would be selfish and irresponsible to be a couch potato with two kids in the house looking for a role model.

Then in October of  '08 a mate who I had played heaps of footy with over the years was striving to break three hours in the Melbourne Marathon. Seb had already had a couple of cracks at it and come agonisingly close. On this occasion when he crossed the line the watch was stopped at 2 hours 59 minutes and 50 seconds. I was almost a thrilled as him. I rang Seb not long after he had crossed the line and in our conversation I decided that the following year I would be on the start line for the Half Marathon. Seb was to become my mentor over the next 12 months. Without him my life would be very different today. I don't like to think about the person I might have been if I didn't run.

4 comments:

  1. Lovin it Bomb.Getting inspired to start my own blog. Good stories should be shared among many, not among few. Your blog is becoming one of my favourite parts of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks H,
    Your story would be a great read and benefit many. The EBF will feature here soon in the
    D-MAC chapter along with some other great characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Bomber - love your blogs and love running with ya, Gull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gull, see ya in the FT Gully car park at 3.30am - can't wait

    ReplyDelete