Sunday, January 9, 2011

Change of pace.

After two solid weeks my legs were starting to feel heavy. Not injured at all but just very weary. It sort of got to the point that every run, although long – mostly 15km minimum – was a trudge. So yes I was clocking up the kms but there wasn’t much variety, no speed, no super long runs and no recovery runs. At the start of my holidays I had planned to do huge kms but sometimes you have to reign in the ego, listen to your body and drop it back.
It helps that myself, Seb and Gully are registered for the ‘Two Bays Trail Run’ on January 16. http://www.twobaystrailrun.com/
 I need to freshen up for that anyway. Two Bays is from Dromana to Cape Shanck and back again. 56km. Seb and I had a look at the course on Monday when we ran one way. The 28km took just under three hours so with a taper and race conditions I’m hoping to do the 56 somewhere between 6 and 6.5 hours. But who knows, I might be kidding myself. We’ll see.
When you’re running trails you often have to slow to a walk because of brutal ascent that rockets your heart rate and burns your calves. Thankfully, with every good ascent there’s generally a descent that gives a bit of respite. As well as this change in pace, up and over Arthur’s Seat, the Two Bays trail made us freeze in our tracks on several occasions. I’ve run past kangaroos before but on Monday them big bouncy things were freakin’ huge. If they wanted to they could have fixed us up big time. There were also wallabies and birds everywhere. A new thing this time however was the butterflies. For what seemed like a couple of hours they were flying all around us. Not much else seemed to matter at the time, it was bliss.
But the biggest stop dead in your tracks moment was still to come. Just before the end of our run we came across Bushranger’s Bay. I fair dinkum couldn’t believe how good lookin’ it was and, unbelievably, it’s all for free. All I had to do was change my pace, get out of the car and just go and look at stuff. Some stuff is really worth looking at.
This week:
Sunday 2/1 - Rest
Monday 3/1- 28km Dromana to Cape Shanck
Tuesday 4/1- 5km barefoot
Wednesday 5/1- 10km
Thursday 6/1- 15km
Friday 7/1- 15km
Saturday 8/1- 12km
Total - 85km.
* 'Sweaty', who featured in my last post, did a 12km run this week. Awesome stuff!!! He'll run a marathon this year.

1 comment:

  1. Like it a lot Bomb, that's a great way to start the day, getting out on the Two Bays track.

    Sweaty - loving the updates via Bomber on your 'transformation' - up to 12k's already, great stuff; and planning to do the big 42.2, awesome work.

    ReplyDelete