Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sing it LOUD!!!

Running by yourself can be hard work. Sometimes it helps to let everyone know about what you’re planning.
During this last week a mate I went to uni with called Mick, had said he had been inspired by Sweaty’s story who featured here recently. Success - What is it?? He was hugely impressed that Sweaty was heading towards a marathon this year and now wants to try to do something similar. When I mentioned this to the big Sweat it inspired him right back and he said he was going to punch out a few extra kms in the next few days because of Mick.
So by singing it loud about what both blokes are doing has got each of them punching out the kms. They have never met and they will be running by themselves, but in a way they’ll be supporting each other as they go.
When my alarm went off yesterday it was 4.40am. I had planned to run 30km. It was however, the first time for ages that I would be running solo on a long run. I shut the alarm down but didn’t get up. Instead I lay there trying to think of how I could justify going for a shorter run. Maybe even a much shorter run. If I was running with Seb or Gully, my usual long run training partners, I would have no choice but to get up and meet them as planned. Instead it was just me I had to answer to, or so I thought. As the time ticked by the chance of me doing a 30 was diminishing but one nagging thought kept at me. On Thursday I had told Seb I was planning to do 30km. I had sung it loud and the thought of having to own up to doing any less was just not appealing. With guilt or pride or stubborn-icity now taking over I got up and headed out for thirty of the most enjoyable kms you could imagine.
So sing it loud ladies and gentlmen and others. Leave a comment on here, or on the Face, and let people know what your planning. Let them know your big goals. It might just help get you out for a few extra one day.
Sweaty update – Broke his nose in a boxing session, signed up for an event and loving it.
Mick update – 10km on Saturday, a bit on the bike, another run imminent and loving it.

5 comments:

  1. Dave, would love to read a breakdown of your pre-race prep and equipment.
    loving this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. also any advice on building up to distance.

    and any suplements, vit/minerals, special dietry actions you take. how do you avoid joint injury/fatigue or are you just genetically lucky?

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too have been inspired by you all and the 'sing it loud' anthem.

    many of my goals in my own personal challenge blog revolve around better cardio fitness and one includes bettering my previous time on a 55km trail run and another a completed marathon.

    following is a copy of my write up from last night after having read this blog earlier.

    Tuesday, February 1, 2011
    run for ya life!

    well, that was a slog!
    just went for the run i'd planned, BLOODY HARD STUFF!

    did about 8k's of fartlek with about a 1/3 of the distance on soft sand.
    to my credit (pat own back!) i was very sensible about how hard i pushed... not so sensible about forgetting Ventolin!

    my bronchitis is pretty bad at the moment, so there was a lot of hacking and zonking along the way and my chest really burnt in the spot of the infection- i'm so #!~\ING sick of this thing; but i will kick it and dominate and see it off.

    this is still a good first step- getting out and doing something. It is also inspiring to read about other people pushing themselves as i have seen on the Running for your life blog- Run free running4urlife.blogspot.com
    ...
    (banged on a bit about weights)

    ...so if i keep it going and work in more cardio...SHABANG!

    stoph verismo

    up and at em

    morph@forty


    so thanks Dave and crew, i'm singing it loud too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gyday Stoph, thanks for your comments and questions. I may go into more detail at a later date especially about pre-race prep.
    On the building of kms I have gone by the 10% rule. That is only ever increase kms by ten percent per week.
    One run for the week should be your designated 'long run'.
    For example, If your long run is 10kms then the the following week your 'long' should be 11kms, if it's 30km, next week 33km etc..
    This should mean less chance of injury..

    Also, your other runs during the week should add up to approximately 2/3 of your total weekly kms and your long run = the other 1/3.

    For example: If your long run is 8 you need your other uns to total 16km. That could be a 4, a 6 and a 6.
    That way your long won't shock the body too much.

    Final thing is increasing should be a 3 weeks on one week off routine. Increase by 10% each week for three weeks and then in the fourth week, still get out and run but do less and freshen up the body.

    This is how I built up, I don't follow it now so much because I've built my base but definitely in the early days it worked well for. So well that I have never had to miss a run because of injury.

    Hope that helps and continue to SING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers bloke; that is a great help- and such a simple formular.

    Had a night off last night (am learning in my old age not to let enthusiasm over ride common sense!), but now i had an idea as to what i should do tonight, instead of just going out again and plodding along.

    thanks again
    stoph


    ps, Have a good time on Saturday, don't forget to 'run before you drink'!

    ReplyDelete