Thursday, April 21, 2011

22 Days to Go

I saw a podiatrist today. She checked me on video while I walked on a treadmill. The upshot being that I could do with some orthotics. Apparently my metatarsals are at quite a pronounced angle and and there’s a fair bit of pressure smashing down on them poor little suckers. So the Pod. , whacked a bit of plaster on both feet to get a mould for some custom made supports. They aint cheap but they’re going to minimise the chance of fractures in the future.
We also spoke of the pros and cons of taking pain killers during the race. The cons being I won’t know if I’m doing damage during the run and the pros being I won’t know if I’m doing damage during the run.
The program from here is
To 25/4 – boot off when home, deep water running, exercise bike and some x-trainer
25/4 – Start walk/jog program – on alternate days, in between days bike and DWR.
Level 1 – 4min walk, 1 min jog x 4 = 20 mins followed by ice
Level 2 – 3min walk, 2 min jog x 4
Level 3 – 2 min walk, 3 jog x 4
Level 4  – 1 min walk, 4 jog x 4
Level 5 – 20 min jog
That will take me to May 3rd. Hopefully continue running gently for another week then head to the Blue Mountains on the 11th, couple of days of nothing then 100km in hopefully between 17 and 20 hours. Starting to get a little bit nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment