Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Yesterday's Gone!

It’s not over until the fat lady sings as they say. Well if anyone has a request, she took to the stage today and has been belting out hit after hit. Her opening number was this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDN9y2vTdUs
I started my running program on Anzac Day and within 60 seconds I knew it had to be the end. There was pain in my foot. It was bearable but it was far from encouraging.
All along I have pushed to be ready for this event. In training when all was well I did many weeks of 100kms approx. One week I got close to 130km. I have run up and down agonising hills in the Dandenongs in the middle of the night. I have run in pouring rain and in over 40 degree heat. I have done several ultra trail events. I have run 80km in 8 and a half hours. I have run 6 days each week for well over a year.
Since I have been injured on February 20, I have done everything possible to recover in time. Professional advice from a GP, a Physio, a Sports Med Doctor and a Podiatrist has all leant towards the thought that it would not be so wise to do the event. I chose not to ignore that advice but rather take it on board and find out for myself if it was going to be possible. I followed a program from my doc religiously, wore the ‘moon boot’ every waking hour and felt that if I could get through this program and be running pain free prior to the event then I would give it a crack. As stated earlier, I haven’t been able to Run Free. So now there’s 382 days to go(2012).Maybe even 747 days(2013). Who knows? Who knows if my Maths is correct?
A while ago the thought of being unable to do this event was just plain ugly. I imagined I would be devestated but I’m not. Far  from it. My very awesome wife made things clear for me on Anzac Day. She said, “you are missing out on one event but you get to keep running forever.” The damage I could have done if I pressed forward might have had me out for months to a year or more. Now that I’m not doing the event, I know for sure I’ll be back to running normally pretty soon-ish.
So today I joined a gym for three months. I am going to go every week day while I’m on long service leave. I can build up core strength and flexibilty, focus on nutrition and all those other things you’re meant to do when running long.
So if no one else has any requests, I might aske the lady to sing this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8arvEzHsA8

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear Dave that your foot let you down, happy to hear how you are dealing with it. Injuries suck! but imagine how uber-ready you will be next time.

    good luck with your continued rehab and prep for your next challenge.
    s

    ReplyDelete